Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Soulmate?

Soulmates, soulmates, soulmates! Soulmates?????

What are soulmates? Do they exist?

I believe in soulmates the same way I believe in flowers and chocolate. They may seem cliché, but they exist and they make our lives better.

Now, to begin, I also believe in fate and karma (call me idealistic, everyone does). I believe that everything happens for a reason,even if the reason is not evident or obvious to us at first glance. In terms of karma, what goes around definitely comes around.

My best friend Darcy often scolds me on my undying faith in the concept of karma. He says, “but Kiran, if you only do good things because you don’t want karma to come around and work against you, that isn't true karma. You’re only being good so it will come back to you.” He thinks the idea of karma is hypocritical and I will admit, that based on his logic, it implies that people’s good actions are not altruistic at all because they seem to be doing good deeds with the expectation that the good karma will come back to them. But I don’t agree with that. I think that over your lifespan, if you do good things and genuinely have a good heart, karma will reward you somehow. Kinda like there is no such thing as luck; luck is preparation meeting opportunity.

Anyways, off of my tangent, I do believe in soulmates. My definition for soulmates is a bit different then you may anticipate though. I think your soulmate is someone who completes you, who brings out the best in you, and who you are most comfortable with. That at the end of you life, you can trun around and say that you were most at ease with that person who understood you the best and with whom you bonded with most. Even if you don’t end up with that person or the relationship fails, that does not mean that it wasn’t worth something, that it didn’t teach you about yourself, or that it hasn’t made you who you are.

Based on this definition of soulmates, if you’ve read carefully, you'll notice that I don’t actually think that your soulmate has to necessarily be someone that you are romanticailly involved with. Instead, they can be a parent, a mentor, a sibling…..a best friend. The person in your life who you truly connect with. Stop for one second and think of that person in you life now or in your past who you havebeen most at peace with….they may be a strong contender in your soulmate search.

Watch the trailer below. It's for the film Prime with Bryan Greenberg, Meryl Streep, and Uma Thurman. The movie seems a bit silly, but it is truly lovely once you watch it. I highly recommend it because it deals with a few of the topics (soulmates as well as having an ex matter to you even if the relationship fails) I've written about tonight.

3 comments:

  1. While I don't believe in Karma and I hate the concept of Fate I do believe in soulmates.

    I completely agree with you saying that a soulmate doesn't have to be a boyfriend or girlfriend and that it can be a best friend.
    I know that I have a few friends that I'm sure will be friends for life just because of how well we click. It almost seems like it was meant to be... uh oh, that's fate.

    Damnit Kiran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea for a post.
    It reminds me of Carrie on the Sex and the City episode where they talk about soulmates and she asks Mr. Big if he believes in the word. He replies that he likes the word "soul" and he likes the word "mates" ... (season 4 i think where she gets into his limo at the end of the episode and he has the red balloons)
    and charlotte also suggests that they four girls should be eachothers soulmates and then men they date are just great guys to have fun with.

    It also reminds me of Jerry Maguire with the song "Secret Garden"by bruce Springsteen ( download it with the quotes in it... i cry every time)
    "you gotta be fair to her, she loves you, if you don't.... you have got to tell her"
    and then at the end when Tom Cruise says
    "I'm not letting you get rid of me, how about that... I love you... You...complete me...and ..."
    then she says "shut up...just shut up.... you had me at hello.... "
    its so good and this whole post totally made me think back to when that came out and then i downloaded the song. :)


    great idea Kiran, you are my love guru XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. So obviously I disagree, but I do have a few questions for you.

    1) What does it mean to have a genuinely good heart?

    2) If your soulmate is defined as someone who your are most comfortable with, someone who brings out the best in you, who understood you the best and someone who you bond with more than anyone else, how can you not end up with them? Wouldn't being anyone one else be settling for less?

    My take on things? The human brain is wired to create narratives. We do it all the time; we tie together small coincidences, random unrelated events. I can see why we do it, but ultimately I find it naive and idealistic.

    I apologize for my pessimism, Kiran. Great post!

    ReplyDelete