Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hold your head up high.

“Man, I would have hit a lot more than she did … I would have kept hitting.”

I write with a heavy heart today (and also for my Creative Writing blog!)

The words above come from Sandra Bullock and were released by an Orlando radio station which has footage of Bullock talking about Tiger Woods cheating on his wife, Elin, early this year in January.

“She was respectable. I’d get the baseball bat, I’d get everything out,” Bullock said in the interview.

Can you really blame either woman?

Now, to begin, I want to clarify something. I am no huge Bullock fan. I think she’s lovely. I enjoy watching her interviews, specifically on Ellen where the two have a dynamic friendship which always keeps me laughing. I think she’s beautiful and funny. I think she’s gracious and generous. She is one of the first celebrities I always hear about donating large amounts of money to different charities and causes. Watch some of my favourite Sandra interviews below. In the first, she dances for Ellen. In the second, she eats a full chili pepper and Ellen smashes her over the head with a bottle. Hilarious.





This one is my favourite. Bullock wins the Razzie for Worst Actress and she actually shows up to accept it, and her acceptance speech is SO witty.



I think she’s a good woman. And I feel bad for her. She does not deserve the hurt and disrespect and the humiliation she is so clearly fighting as a result of her husband’s cheating.

I’m not going to mention his mistresses. Who really cares? I’m sorry to say, but I doubt this is one isolated incident. It doesn’t matter to me WHO he cheated with because it seems there have been many women. What breaks my heart is what Jesse James has done to Bullock's dignity.

The most heartbreaking part of this whole thing is the irony. Bullock has been making movies and working in the film industry for DECADES. She FINALLY got some recognition for her work in The Blind Side. Only to find out two weeks later that her husband, who she seems to love more than anything, has been betraying her for months.

You know, to me, this seems like some kind of sick twist of fate. Weeks leading up to the Academy Awards, Bullock was quoted in major interviews talking about how much James’ support has helped her, including one with Barbara Walters. During her Oscar acceptance speech, she looked at her husband (who was cheating at the time) and you could see the love in her eyes. The next day on Oprah, she went on about how much she loves him. Tragic.







Again, I am not a huge Bullock fan. But I am a woman. I feel for her. For the humiliation she is feeling now. For how betrayed she must feel. For how stupid she must feel. For how many tears she is likely crying.

How sad and ironic that she was unable to celebrate fully the fruits of her labour over the years. He took that from her. Stole her limelight. He made a great thing for his wife into a horrible memory.

More than that, she CREDITED her winning the Oscar to him on numerous occasions saying James had her back and that her work got better after meeting him.

Call me a feminist, and maybe I am, but this man screwed over this woman. And I wonder, if the opposite was true, if it had been a man who won an Oscar and then got cheated on by his wife, would the press be so critical of him?

If Brad Pitt won an Oscar but found out Angelina Jolie was cheating on him, I’m sure the press would say, “but he still has that Oscar.”

For Bullock, it’s, “poor girl, she got her Oscar but lost her husband.”

That’s not right. Hey, Sandra. I’m on your side. Hold your head up, beautiful.

AND, I'm not sure why a woman can never seem to have her cake and eat it too. He was cheating ON her while she was away filming her Oscar winning role. How's that for being stabbed in the heart?

He doesn’t deserve you. You seem like an amazing woman, and you deserve only great things.

Don’t let him take this moment away from you. You earned it. It’s yours. Enjoy the good, and get rid of the bad.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I'm a complete Sandra Bullock fan and I feel like my heart was broken too. She does so many good things for people and she just can't catch a break. It's so heartbreaking watching that Barbara Walters interview. Thanks for posting all of those videos lol. I definitely watched them all. But wow, hard enough getting your heart broken without the whole world watching.

    ReplyDelete