Sunday, February 14, 2010

On another note: Facebook versus Twitter




This year in Public Relations class, we were directed to get a Twitter and a Facebook account if we did not already have them. I’ve had Facebook for about three years but was just recently introduced to Twitter.

There are many differences between the two. Twitter exists for users to send out “tweets” which are basically status updates of their choosing that run between 0-140 characters long. Also, in Twitter, you can “follow” anyone you want really. The common trend on Twitter is to follow celebrities, athletes, news organizations, and designers, anything or anyone that interests you really. This way you can get updates about what’s up and coming in areas that interest you.

Facebook on the other hand is a bit more personal. In general, most of the people you become friends with on Facebook are people you know in some personal way. Facebook is more used for people to write on each other’s walls and posts photos.

Personally, I check my Facebook account at least once a day because I find that my “notifications/updates” on Facebook are more personal and often I’ve had someone send me a private message, write on my wall, or post photos. I use Facebook to stay connected to my family and friends. Morever, on Facebook, you can control what people can see and who you become friends with.

I don’t really use my Twitter account, I may check it max twice a week. Twitter is different than Facebook because you cannot control who becomes your “follower” and if you are not posting updates, it’s unlikely you may have much activity on your account. The one thing I do love about Twitter is that you can get headline information updates from news sources that interest you at any time. That’s a plus.

In terms of Public Relations, I think Twitter and Facebook both have their own benefits. For PR, Twitter is a great tool because it is the way to social network with other people and organizations that you may otherwise never connect with, post updates of what’s going on for you or your client, and also get your news out or keep up on the news in a fast and efficient manner.

For PR, I think Facebook is also valuable but in a different way. On Facebook, you can create fan groups, events, and add people as friends if you think they can help your cause. This is a great way to keep in touch with people, get information out, and promote your brand.

1 comment:

  1. But which one do you love more? Just getting the blog back to topic - ha!

    ReplyDelete