Monday, October 26, 2009

Because I LOVE my freaking amazing classmates

I'm still laughing. What a day! One that had every reason in the world to end epically badly and disastrously has been one that was actually pretty funny...and it's all because of CreComm section 2.

Firstly, I gotta give a shoutout to Miguel Martinez, an amazing guy in my section. This morning, I got to school early to print my personality profile, but for some reason, when I went to print it at 7:45 am in W308 (that printer is my NEMESIS), it paper jammed. I desperately tried to fix it.....but nothing worked...the minutes ticked by....Running out of options, I sprinted to the office to tell Steve. I could tell he felt bad for me but had no option, I had to print the article on time or else I'd fail.

At this point, I'm sort of freaking out. 7:49 the clock says. I run out of the office and collide into Miguel. "Miguel!!! The printer! I need help..," I say as I sprint by him, get my student card, and desperately( yes everything was desperate this morning), make my way to W312. Of course, starting the computer and signing in seems to take ages and ages. The clock ticks by, 7:53 am....it keeps going, on and on while the damn computer takes its sweet time.

Finally, at 7:58 a.m. when I try to open my document, it won't work....because the document is still open on my computer in W308. My heart sinks. It's all over. All the work I did on this assignment for nothing. I've failed.

Trying not to give up or burst into tears, I run out of W312 towards W308 to close the document and go back to W312 to print it. I run by the clock 7:59 am. I collide once again into Miguel. "Kiran, it's fine. I handed it in," he says with a smile.

I think I literally bodychecked him with my embrace and I definitely didn't let go for a solid minute. He had followed me into W308, fixed the printer, printed my paper, and then went to the office and handed it in for me, while I was running around in W312. He didn't even tell Steve what he did, he just put my paper in the drop box. No attempt at getting recognition for his help.What a guy!

I know a lot of people in CreComm are kind of competitive...I'm not really. I try to only compete with myself, and I admit that the competitiveness of the program is the one thing I'm not crazy about. But look, Miguel looked out for me, he saved me, and he literally allowed me to pass an assignment I'd worked so hard on. Dude, he's one kick ass guy.

And then!? Before I left class today on my way to the gym, I realized that I'd left my lights on and my car woudln't start. Of course, I was parked right on busy Princess street too. What did I do? I called Jeremie and Kylie...I knew I could depend on them. And without a pause, the two and Alexa showed up to help me boost my car. Haha, it was a debaucle. None of us really knew what to do, Alexa was on the phone with her "booster cable source" and in the meantime, Jeremie electrocuted himself...in the end, two randoms had to come show us what to do...but we laughed the entire time.

Thanks guys...not only for helping me...but for being the first people I thought of to call. And for being so cool, that I didn't even blink an eye when the whole thing happened.

OH and!!! Group one in Broadcast this morning? Minority Report was SOOO funny! I loved it, I laughed soooo hard!

It has to be said. Section 2 is the most amazing section ever. These people are funny, kind, and god, do I love my CreComm classmates.

5 comments:

  1. That was so nice what Miguel did, he's such an amazing person. Kiran, now that you've had something nice done for you it's your turn to take that good deed and turn into a good deed you do for another. Not that you don't do plenty of good deeds on a daily basis, but when one directly you've got to pay it forward, sorry for the lame reference. Oh and by the way I think it's fair to say, "STAY AWAY FROM THE PRINTER IN W308!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is only second to Jeremie's first hand account of getting electrocuted.

    Miguel Martinez = Temporary God
    Jeremie Wookey = Ernest from Ernest Goes to Jail

    Why Alexa has a "Booster Cable Source" is beyond me.

    I think the funniest part of the story is that you went to talk to Steve and he basically stood by his guns and said there is nothing you can do but get it in on time.

    Steve Vogelsang = Tough As Nails

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart our class. I can't imagine splitting up :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miguel, that was such an awesome thing to do for Kiran. You deserve two cookies on Friday treat day. :)

    Poor Jeremie, he gets emasculated by a random lady and now he's being equated to Ernest from Ernest Goes To Jail. I just hope the electricity didn't do any permanent damage. Wouldn't it be awesome though if he somehow got some kind of super hero powers? Electroboy? Electrowook? Wookielectro?

    As for Vogelsang, aside from timeliness, there is one other piece of advice from him that I hold close to my heart and it's: "Don't be a sauce gonky."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments. I feel so loved.

    ReplyDelete