Monday, January 24, 2011

CBC Internship

For my first work placement, I interned at CBC News Winnipeg (television).
It was a really challenging yet rewarding experience.

I can't believe just how intense it can be to daily report. The reporters at CBC have to produce a 1.5-2 minute story as well as a BG (vosot) which they edit themselves by 4:30 pm each day. Their edit times are 2:15 pm and 3:15 pm….which makes for a short day to conduct your interviews, pick your clips, and write your script. A lot of work, but I think it all pays off once the story goes to air.

I learned so much during my internship….about story pitches, software, writing for TV, and general television reporting.

Everyone at CBC was kind and helpful; they answered all of my questions, and in the end, gave me a wonderful opportunity to produce my own story.

On-the-job work experience is invaluable. I took a lot of the things I’ve learned at university and Crecomm to the job but actually being at CBC in the flesh was a whole different experience all together.

I’m excited for my next internship in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment