Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So I thought about it a bit more....

Last week, I wrote about what I think journalism is....and my answer was what I believe to be true, but I truly had a hard time answering that question.

How do you sum up what you think you are meant to do with your life?

Then it came to me. The below video is what journalism means to me.

When people ask me why I want to be a journalist, I always say, well...er... I want to make a difference, I want to help people, I want to be where the real world is, I want to experience the truth and then tell it.

Most of the time, I am met with blank stares.

But here, this is why I want to be a journalist. Whether the video was staged or not, for argument's sake, let's say it was not. Anderson Cooper is out there, he's making a difference, he's where it matters. And wow, do I wish I were there too.

2 comments:

  1. I can appreciate your post about passion, because that's was drives me.
    However, I'm one of those who believes this video was staged - and it's tough to find the passion in that. True, props to him for being in Haiti and telling the story.
    Let's just pretend this video wasn't staged, my question is why would he let the boy walk away still bleeding profusely from his head? And where was Cooper running from? And from what? So I agree with you on your last point. I wish I were there, too - to get that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...he even puts down and leaves his expensive camera.

    ReplyDelete